Salary: £75,000 pa + Benefits
Reference: PB \ 1905-171MUSDIR
Job Type: Permanent
Sector: Office & Specialist Support
Closing date: 07/07/2019
The Brewster Partners Recruitment Group are currently is working in working in exclusive partnership with the National Coal Mining Museum of England to recruit a Museum Director. A Museum Director is required to lead the organisation through a period of growth and development working with the senior team building on existing and new projects.
The successful candidate will have overall responsibility for leadership and operational management whilst providing strategic direction to the charity. They will lead the organisation in identifying and delivering actions which promote its sustainability and growth.
As Museum Director and reporting directly into the Board of Trustees, duties will include:
- Assess the current operations of the NCMME, propose and implement options for growth which take account of the current and future external environment in which the Museum operates
- Take forward the trustees longer-term strategic review which re-assesses the mission and purpose of the Museum in the context of its future sustainability and its contribution as a place of learning, scholarship and entertainment
- Lead and support staff through a process of growth, finding new ways to deliver more for less in line with the museums sector generally
- Develop new sources of funding –looking at all the opportunities that may be available for both capital, revenue and programme funding
- Explore and develop new avenues for income generation – through current and future commercial opportunities, recognising the challenges which any new capital investment entails at this time
- Nurture stakeholder relationships, ensuring good links with local authorities close to the site, with other cultural/ entertainment attractions in the region and further afield, with funders and potential funders, with Higher and Further Education Institutions etc.
- Provide the leadership and management which helps to develop staff and volunteers to step up to the increasing demands of running a successful museum operation
- Develop a strategy which continues and increases the attraction of NCMME bearing in mind the ageing population of ex-miner guides and the uniqueness of the experience they provide, creating a real challenge for visitor experience which will need to be addressed across the operation
- Work towards the longer-term vision and master-planning for the Museum and the site, taking into account the important place it can occupy in the creative regeneration of Wakefield and its surrounding area.
- Good strategic skills which will allow you to assess the current operations of the NCMME, propose and implement options for growth which take account of the current and future long term strategic review in the context of its future sustainability and its contribution as a place of learning, scholarship and entertainment; a successful track record of change management
- An excellent people manager, able to leverage the skills contained within the unique workforce of NCMME and help them look to the future
- Strength in negotiation and networking skills
- A knowledge, and ideally some commercial experience, which helps NCMME to maximize the commercial opportunities which the site presents
- Excellent stakeholder management skills able to connect and re-connect with important individuals and networks which will enable NCMME to create new partnerships and potential funding streams.
- Salary of £75,000 + Benefits DOE
- Fantastic opportunity to join a vibrant team
Client Director – Charity & Not for Profit
Brewster Partners Recruitment Group
M: 07858 518 413
To apply for this job, please send your CV to the email above or to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting "Vacancy: Museum Director, Reference: PB \ 1905-171MUSDIR". Thank you for your interest.