Exciting new opportunity to become The Portfolio Director of a Joint Venture between Covanta, Green Investment Group and Biffa. This will be the outward facing ambassador and will drive the performance of the two new Energy-from-Waste (EFW) facilities, at Newhurst and Protos.
Newhurst Energy Recovery Facility near Shepshed, Leicestershire, is now in its construction phase. Protos Energy Recovery Facility is situated in the Protos hub at Ellesmere Port, Cheshire.
Both plants when built will support the aims of the circular economy and enable the UK to achieve national
self-sufficiency in managing waste and support the achievement of the UK’s landfill diversion targets.
Day to day operations of the plants is the responsibility of the local Plant Manager (Covanta) and the Portfolio Director will work closely with the operations team to oversee the performance of the facilities.
The Portfolio Director must have regard to the long-term performance of the asset and its ability to generate cash sustainably. It requires the stakeholder, managerial, financial and commercial awareness to grow the new businesses and deliver results by working with partners and third parties though service agreements rather than by the direct management of the operations team.
Overseeing the financial performance of the plants and managing the operations contract with Covanta. This will require the Portfolio Director to interact and collaborate with Covanta’s Plant Managers, challenge the operational team, and ensure the plant’s interests as owners are represented on a short term and long-term basis.
The Portfolio Director must be able to engage in constructive dialogue and have a sound decision making process in order to achieve success in the role.
- All financial planning, customer relations and contracting, and other revenue related activities for both sites. This includes responsibility for annual budgeting and forecasting activities in this area.
- Ensuring compliance of the project companies with all health and safety policies and procedures and actively promoting and being a role model for a strong health, safety and environmental culture.
- Managing key strategic business development initiatives, including expanding the volumes and types ofwaste which can be processed, heat offtakes and other revenue sources that can be captured.
- Compliance and corporate governance of the JV entities which own the facilities.
- Building and maintaining constructive relations with both community and local interest groups.
- On behalf of the Board leading tactical and strategic opportunities that involve Newhurst and Protos or key stakeholders.
- Working with HR and the Plant Managers, ensure that appropriate policies are in place for Newhurst and Protos staffing needs.
- Drawing on the expertise of colleagues and internal subject matter experts:
- Ensuring Newhurst and Protos deliver on or exceed the financial targets set by the Board, as well as driving innovation and optimisation initiatives for the business.
- Managing the project’s electrical and sales output and exploring hedging, PPA and other electricity market related initiatives.
It is expected that the Portfolio Director will lead monthly and quarterly reviews of performance, and engage with the owners on items of key importance and seek input and direction as warranted/needed. Outreach, community and communications activities. The Portfolio Director is expected to be the ambassador for both plants and to establish credibility and an upstanding reputation among the key local stakeholders.
Financial management oversight, to include the following areas:
- Budget forecasting, long-term planning, tracking performance, coordinating book-keeping and financial accounts preparation and related matters (e.g. financial audit, tax matters) with the Covanta Finance team.
- Managing the financial aspects of key contracts and the financial reporting to various stakeholders (the shareholders, the Board, the lenders, etc.), and where necessary, working in conjunction with Covanta’s Head Office team who support the UK, forming a strong relationship with the Covanta team is essential aspect of the role.
Essential for the role:-
- Business-relevant degree. Desirable education or experience in engineering, finance or commercial management preferred. Prior knowledge and experience managing profit and loss, budgets and forecasts in an industrial/production or related industry. Strong business acumen that highlights proactive thinking with detail-oriented and creative problem-solving approach. Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with partners, stakeholders and government officials. Demonstrated ability to coordinate and execute in an operating business (goaloriented mindset).
Desirable but not essential:
- Experience establishing a new business operation or expanding business operations.
- Prior knowledge and experience managing of utility assets. Understanding of the UK waste market and policies.
- Strong manager, team player with commensurate leadership skills. Developed executive presence; engaging personality and the confidence to make decisions. Solid analytical, planning and organisational skills and ability to multitask.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Exceptionally strong planning and interpersonal skills. Strong strategic thinker with wellpracticed negotiation skills.
- Prior experience interacting with and reporting to executive-level stakeholders.
£110,000 - £120,000 pa + full package
Managing Partner – Executive Search & Interim
Brewster Partners Recruitment Group
To apply for this job, please send your CV to the email above or to email@example.com quoting "Vacancy: Portfolio Director, Reference: SS / BBBH14575". Thank you for your interest.